Covington, Georgia will be buzzing with activity later this month with the filming of Selma.
The movie centers around Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s voting rights campaign in 1965 in Selma, Alabama. Intense Civil Rights battles took place in Selma for equal African-American voting rights which culminated in three planned marches from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. Only the last march actually made it all the way to Montgomery. Two marches were personally led by Martin Luther King Jr., and the successful march took 4 days to span 50 miles. The march started out with 8,000 people, then reduced to 300 by court order, but 25,000 people were in the final leg where King delivered his speech “How Long, Not Long”.
The film is being co-produced by Oprah Winfrey and Brad Pitt, among others. Ava DuVernay, the first black woman to win Best Director at the Sundance Film Festival, is directing. David Oyelowo, who starred in DuVernay’s Middle of Nowhere, will star as King.
Filming in Newton County will occur from May 20-22. Here are the details:
Tuesday, May 20:
– Filming will take place inside and outside the Historic Courthouse on the square from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
– Portions of Monticello and Clark streets near the courthouse will be closed for exterior filming; part of Monticello and Hays streets will be blocked off all day for trucks and crew.
– There will also be intermittent traffic control during interior filming.
Wednesday, May 21:
– The production will conduct driving shots on:
– Flat Road Road, between Cornish Trace Drive and Baker’s Lane
– Airport Road, between Poole Booth Road and Ga. Highway 142
– Gregory Road, just off Flat Rock Road
– There will also be filming on Conyers, lee, Brown, Ivy and Emory Streets.
– There will be intermittent traffic control for all of this filming between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.
Thursday, May 22:
– There will be filming at the exterior of the home at 2222 Lee Street.
– There will be interior night filming at the Townhouse Café at 1145 Washington St.; Washington Street will be closed between Hendrick and Monticello streets during filming.
– Filming will take place between noon and 2 a.m.
If you have any information, photos, and/or tips about Selma, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet us at twitter.com/olv!
Source: Rockdale News